Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Tamale Pie

I was inspired to make this dish by Simply Recipes. Then I browsed more for it and found many versions. As I understood, it is an American dish that pretends to be Mexican. Anyway it tastes good :) I changed beef to turkey, added carrots, and removed sweat pepper (simply because I did not have it).

Ingredients

400g minced turkey
2/3 of a can of sweat corn
a small can of olives
One big carrot
A small handful of raisins (optional)
A can of crushed tomato
2 onions
2 cloves of garlic
A spoon of olive oil
A small spoon of cumin
A small spoon of paprika
A bit of chili (depends how spicy you want it, I use just a small bit)
Cover:
A cup of corn
A cup of milk
A cup of water
A spoon of olive oil
A teaspoon of salt
A bit of chilli

Procedure

First, prepare the corn batter for the cover. Mix all cover ingredients in a pot and bring to boil. Reduce the fire and boil for some 5-7 min, then leave covered and warm.

Pour a spoon of olive into a pan and when it is hot, add the onion and garlic, cut into small pieces. Fry a bit, add carrots, meat, and spices. Cook until the meat is almost ready (around 10 min), then add tomatoes and cook more until the liquid evaporates. At the end, add corn, sliced olives, and raisins.

Put everything to a baking dish and cover with the corn batter.

Preheat the oven to 200 and bake the pie until the cover ("corn bread") becomes crusty, around 30 min.

Experiences

I have no idea what the outcome should be, so I was happy with mine. Just make sure you leave no liquid in the filling, otherwise the corn bread will hardly get crusty and you will have the sauce dripping out of the dish, just like it happened to me :) There are many versions of the corn bread, it could also be with egg and more oil, or just water and corn. I liked mine, milk adds nice taste to it.

No comments: